Welcome to my blog! Thanks for reading!

Friday, May 4, 2007

Afrikaans ....


This is the building we have Afrikaans class in. In the "Skatkamer" which means "treasure room" ... understood "kamer" as the only Afrikaans word I came to South Africa with was "Badkamer" meaning bathroom. Thanks Dan!


The words are huge! In Afrikaans a concept becomes one word. So, for example, the word for peanut butter sandwich is:
grondboontjiebottertoebroodjie
The class is going fine and I am doing well but I don't know that I'll ever master it too much! There are a lot of pronunciations which sound like "ch" (in the Scottish pronunciation of loch) and like creating a large amount of spit in the back of your throat! Potential to get quite messy :o) The great source of entertainment are the other people in the class and the teacher!! We'll see if that remains after an hour oral exam in a couple of weeks!!

No comments: